Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Two month Check-in: Lessons of the heart


Hard to believe it's only been two months that we've been home together as family! In that short time so much has changed. Harry is learning to speak at warp speed and embraces all things American. Well ALMOST all things. While he now drinks three full glasses of milk a day, we're pretty sure it doesn't make his list of top 100 things he loves most... Yeah, I've got a list a mile long of how much progress he's made, how many hurdles he's overcome, and how many things he is learning to do.
In truth, the most important things he has learned will never be measured on an SAT test, or for that matter, may not be apparent to many. Of all that he has learned, what touches my heart the most is what his own little heart is learning. When he comes to me crying after skinning his knee, and welcomes the comfort , he is learning compassion. Waiting for his turn in Candyland is teaching him patience. Each time he wakes up to a bed that is a bit wet, he learns tolerance and acceptance. When he asks for "just one more" hug before bed at night, he's learning to the joy of touch. When his brother apologizes to him for sticking his tongue out at him, and he responds with " sokay" (one word), he's reminded that as a Christian, we must always forgive. When he reminds someone that we must pray before we eat, he's learning we must in all things be thankful (and shortly thereafter when he says excuse me when he belches, he's learning manners.) When he climbs into bed on a lazy Saturday morning and jockeys for a spot between Mommy, Poppa, Skip and Sabaka, he is learning that he will forever be a part of this family, and therefore there's always room for him.

Perhaps the most important thing he has learned is that when he goes outside in 85 degree weather with a tank top, shorts, no shoes, TWO pair of sunglasses and a pair of winter gloves, we may laugh for a minute, but love his just the same. Unconditional love. I can't think of anything more important.

5 much apprecitated comments from readers!:

Lisa

You know...
I've been in rather odd sorts today. Not really discouraged, more frustrated and annoyed with this whole judge situation. Turns out the male judge is NOT the new judge??? Why were we not personally informed about this? And while I know that God is in control and according to His will and timing He will bring home the children He chooses, He did it for you and for the Ninmann's... in light of that I was on the way to working myself into quite a tizzy over this new "bump in the road". Then I read your post, and you know... it doesn't matter, the new judge, the apparently even newer judge, the time line, the wait, the tears, the total lack of communication, I mean COME ON this is NOT something we should hear "through the grapevine". My point is, thank you. Thank you for reminding me what it's all about! And thank you for all your kind and supportive words, you're a true friend, and Lord knows I'll be needing that in the months, and possibly years ahead. =)
Go enjoy your children, and give Harry a special hug for me.

Kathy Friend

I CAN NOT believe it's been 2 months! Where did April go?

Love reding this kind of update - thanks! He even looks SO MUCH older!

Nobody You Know

A good reminder to all sorts of parents and families.

Nicolle

What a sweet post and update! He is truly a gift!

Debbie

A very nice post -- (I might have to plagerise some of it!) :)