Readin' and Writin' and 'Rithmatic...
You wouldn't think it would be this difficult, but I've spent a few weeks researching curriculum for Skip for next year, and with my last click of the mouse, ordered the last subject. This past year we used Abeka for the core subjects he needed for Kindergarten level; Math & Language, and while I don't have any major complaints, I wasn't thrilled with the Parent Guides. A bit too scattered for my liking. So I thought for next year I'd experiment - a little of this and a little of that! Even though I like the Christian Theme with Abeka, I decided to use Saxon for those subjects next year.
So here's what I got:
Math: Saxon Homeschool 1
Language: Saxon Homeschool Phonics 1
Handwriting: Horizons Penmanship 1
Science: Alpha Omega's Lifepac Science 1
Social Studies & Citizenship: Alpha Omega's Lifepac History & Geography 1
Bible: Gotta Have God & Abeka Bible Stories
Russian: Rosetta Stone Homeschool Level 1
Now the tricky thing is that while I'm using a Grade 1 curriculum, since I was not required by law to notify the School Department of our intention to homeschool until this year, (in Massachusetts it's not required until the year he turns 6)my letter of intent will state that he'll be homeschooled on the K level. So he'll be considered a kindergartner, but learning on a Grade 1 level. The reason for this is that should there come a point where I send the boys to school - either private or public - he will be at the level we feel he is at socially. Follow any of that? I know a bit confusing, but having raised kids once already, one thing I 've learned is that academically a child can be bright, but if they lack the social skills, you're asking for trouble...
As for Harry, our first inclination was to use and ESL Pre-K program, but I've found there isn't much difference than a just a Pre-K program anyway, so given the speed at which he's learning, I am almost certain we'll just use a Pre-K4 curriculum. I'll wait on that decision for a few months though.
I can't believe I'm already thinking about the next school year. Time has flown for sure. Last year I was really about the undertaking, but I have LOVED teaching Skip this year, and look forward to another! Since we started in mid-August, we have less than a month before we are done for the year! Despite the time we missed while in Russia, he has already finished the Kindergarten text books in both Math and Language, and right now we're just doing some review work and starting on some K-1 bridge books. We recently started the Hooked on Phonics Program with Skip and I intend to follow it throughout the summer. I also learned they have a HOP Preschool program and plan to use that with Harry over the summer. Gotta keep their brains in motion over the summer ya know!

2 much apprecitated comments from readers!:
I taught Saxon Math when I taught first grade in public school. With Saxon either you loved it or you hated it...I personally loved it!
The Bridge Books are great too!
Good Luck!
I love Saxon Math! And, I think they're about a half grade too easy.
BIG YES to the social factor being important. BIG yes.
Post a Comment