Two for one...
Skip had an appointment with the dentist today, having been blessed with less than healthy teeth (not to mention 18 months of sweetened tea for nourishment in the BH in lieu of milk), to get some cavities taken care of. He has FIVE! Yikes. Three are just slight and can be done without drilling, bu the other two are beyond that point. Harry had one, and one they are keeping an eye on. I purposely scheduled just Skip today. For one, they were gonna give him nitrous and one loopy kid was enough I figured, and secondly, I was thinking if Harry saw Skip have it done, he wouldn' mind when we went back for his. Skip was really good when he has his teeth cleaned a few weeks ago, so I figured it would be fine. Well I was wrong.
They tried using the nitrous, but the little mask freaked him. We gave up trying after about 10 minutes, agreeing to come back in a few weeks and try a mild relaxant the night before, and again before the appt. Being a dentist wimp myself, I can sympathize.
Anyway, after he got up from the chair, Harry hopped right in,, saying "Harry turn". We figured couldn't hurt to try. It didn't. He was fine. Put the mask on, and they went to it. Well that inspired Skip, and when Harry was almost done, he told me he thought he'd try "half a tooth". The dentist overheard and played along, saying "sure, we can do half." He was fine, let her do one of the easy ones. She decided to leave it at that. We'll go back in a few weeks, give him something to relax beforehand, and do the drillnig first, then the easy ones. So we left there with both of them feeling proud for having their first cavities taken care of. I guess Skip's having a little brother works to MY advantage sometimes!

3 much apprecitated comments from readers!:
Way to go Harry!!!
Poor Skip, I totally understand. I'm 27 years old and make the dentist use the little kid vibrator thing when he's numbing up my mouth... the nurses kinda snicker at me, but I don't care... it works for me! =)
Way to inspire, Harry!
Harry is so brave! Poor Skip though...I understand his fear. I hope it works out better next time!
Post a Comment