Thursday, April 2, 2009

Cupcakes for dinner?

Last night I told everyone that dinner was a big surprise. When everyone was sitting, I brought out a bowl of corn, a bowl of carrots, a nice salad, and a covered dish. They were all eagerly awaiting the "main course" but after prayer I uncovered the dish announced we were having dessert first, revealing a dozen "cupcakes" -, all heaped with a ton of tasty colored "frosting" - six pink & six blue. I put one one on every one's plate, and Mike skeptically cut into his with a knife, revealing the yummy contents. Skip & Harry both just picked their cupcake up and took big bites of frosting. Smiles all around, but they knew this was no ordinary cupcake. So what was it? Meatloaf & potatoes. A HUGE HIT, and VERY GOOD!

Some background: A few days ago Brandi emailed me a link to Family Fun magazine, for a recipe for faux pie (Shepard's pie) that she made last April Fools day. I had remembered her post from last year and was very excited to be reminded of this fun idea. When I got to the link, I found I didn't have some of the ingredients, but was happy to see another link for more April First meals, and found the cupcakes. They are simple to make, DELICIOUS, and if you don't color the potatoes, are pretty fun dinner idea. The recipe, which calls for a lb of ground beef (I used ground turkey) makes 12 cupcakes. Harry & Skip both ate two - the same as the rest of us, so clearly they liked them, ALOT! You can find both recipes here, ENJOY!

7 much apprecitated comments from readers!:

Veronica Lee

I wouldn't mind, LOL!

Melanie

Judy, These are fun! I made the same "cupcakes" for dinner a couple of years ago and the kids still talk about it. Melanie

Nicolle

Cute idea! I might have to do that some time!

InventingLiz

What a great idea!

Hodges Five

Our pie last night was so yummy! I might try the cupcakes next year, so that I fool Evan...this year he totally expected it. LOL

J.

Brandi,
I was gonna tell Skip and make this just a prank on Mike, but, he was SO lovin' this April 1 thing (and resolving NOT to be tricked anymore) that I couldn't resist one last prank on EVERYONE!

Debbie

Oh how neat - I was going to do something similar but soccer got in the way :(