Sunny days, sweeping the clouds away...
After an uneventful 6-hour trip (including a dinner stop, and 2 bathroom runs) were arrived safely here in Langhorne PA, checking into what seemed like your average Residence Inn by Marriott at around 12:30 a.m. They boys slept for a few hours enroute, but woke up the instant we pulled into the hotel. It's as if they could smell excitement. It was late we were tired, and within 1/2 hour we were unpacked and back to sleep. This morning however, the second we walked out of the elevator we KNEW this was no ordinary Residence Inn. Nope, we were, without a doubt, deep in the heart of Sesameville.... I've never seen so many young kids at a hotel breakfast buffet before! And we're talking hardcome fans. Some in Elmo pajamas, some clutching stuffed Big BIrds or Cookie Monsters, others dressed like Abby Cadabby. These kids were serious. And hyped up. And one in particular was LOUD. Really, really, really, really loud!
Since the hotel offers a free shuttle to the park (which is less than a mile away) we opted to take it - and save ourselves $15 in parking. A good choice. It drops you off right in front of the gate, and there's no wait. We got here right at 10:00 when the gates were opening and had only a few minute wait to get inside. Our plan was to do the dry rides today, then all the water rides tomorrow. The first ride we saw was a roller coaster, and while Skip didn't want to ride, Harry did, so he and I headed to it. No lines - yippee! His very first roller coaster and he was stoked. He screamed (for joy, not in fear) the ENTIRE ride, and when it stopped I asked him what he thought. He was SO happy, and said "I LIKE this ride, alot!" That's my boy!
We continued on to ALL the dry rides - some several times. The teacups & free-fall were favorites, and our last ride was the same roller coaster we started on. This time we all went on it! The kids had an absolute blast. I really, really recommend this place to anyone with children under 12. It's a NICE family atmosphere, the kids can go on EVERY RIDE - depending on their height, either with or without a parent, and even at midday, when it seemed like the park was crowded, there was never more than a five minute wati. Plus, there are many non-motorized rides that are intersperesed throughout the park and not in one section, so finding something for everyone at the same time is easy!
At one point we decided to stand in line to get a photo with Elmo and/or Abby. Again, very short wait. We got to Abby and Skip didn't want to, so Harry ran right up. Then we moved on to Elmo. THAT is where it happened. What happened? Well to some it might have looked like I was some star-struck fan, reduced to tears at just the sight of the object of my affections. But, truth be known, when Harry spotted Elmo, and started waving and calling "Hi Elmo, Hi Elmo" with a look of awe on his face, it hit me. This child, who a short time ago was living a life so bleak & mundane, is living large, with his new family, here in the U.S. This child, who had little opportunity is now a boy with a future. A boy experiencing life for the first time. And seeing him so happy, so "normal" at that moment, was very emotional for me.
I did compose myself enough to get through the photo shoot, and we all moved on to the next attraction. We also saw both "Elmo Live" and Abby's Treasure Hunt". Both, excellent shows! By afternoon however it started to get hot so we let the boys go on a few small water rides so they could cool off. They had so much fun! When we took them on the kid-sized (but fun even for adults) water slides, Harry was heaven. He'd scream happily all the way down, plunge into the water, get scooped up by the lifeguard (whose job it was to grab kids, and scoot them over - three at a time - to their waiting parents at the stairs. Skip went a few times, but Harry just kept going, and going, and going. I did take some pictures of him going down, but since I lost the battery case cover to my camera mid-day, I wasn't able to use it anymore. I ended up buying a disposable camera, and will have to develop those shots the old fashioned way!
We got back to the hotel around 5:15, and the boys got changed out of their wet clothes while I got on the phone and ordered pizza for dinner. I had them sit down and rest while I got unpacked and changed up, and put the Animal Planet on TV for them to watch so I could get done and get the food ordered. By the time I got off the phone, Harry was out cold. It was 6:00. I think he was tired from a very late night, and a very busy day. I didnt' bother waking him for dinner because I'm pretty sure he's out for the night. Looks like Levi will be stayin' in the room with him while I take a hardly-ever-tired Skip swimming in the hotel pool!
With any luck, the pool will tire Skip out, and we'll all get to sleep early so we can get up early and do it all again!
The teacups. I think they rode it four times.
Flying Fish. Skip was just tall enough to ride alone, so I got to ride with Harry :)
Bounce Ride - another repeat ride for them.
Harry & Abby. I did purchase the park photo of this one and the next - which has a cute Sesame Street background in lieu of the green background.
The part that got to me - Harry in glory, with Elmo!
Ending a VERY long, VERY high climbing attraction.
At the Elmo Live show. They were SO into the plot!
Back on the teacups...Harry and Skip's foot (apparently Skip slid down in the seat, causing the smile on Harry's face.)

7 much apprecitated comments from readers!:
Omg! Love the story. LOVE the Elmo picture!
Looks like a blast, I'm glad you had good weather down there! And I love how you describe your emotions about the Elmo picture...it is a great picture! Have fun tomorrow too!
I can only imagine the emotion you felt when "it hit you". What a good "hit" though! =)
When you first blogged about your trip I told Darren I thought it would be so cool to meet you there, looks like a wonderful family atmosphere and that you ALL are enjoying your time there. Making memories... it's awesome!
The picture with Harry and his arm wrapped around Elmo... yea... no words needed.
Enjoy the rest of your vacation!
What fun day of great memories!
Harry's smile is worth a thousand words, with little space here I said enough. What a great family adventure even for you big kids.I can remember doing the same thing 20 something years ago. Kiss the boys for me and tell them to say hello to the sesame street gang for me.
Sounds like great family fun and an awesome adventure.
Okay, so this post has me balling like a baby! It started with the title...a jars of clay song that I used to listen to everyday on my way to school while we waited for Evan...then the flash backs of Evan experiencing all of his many firsts! I'm so glad that I get to follow along with you guys and watch Harry experience his firsts! Thanks for sharing your blog! We love y'all!!
Post a Comment