Wednesday, June 3, 2009

DIfferent clocks, different calendars

Do you remember when you were a kid and the winter months just lasted for what seemed forever? When you lived for those special occasions, and then the clock just seemed to tick in slow motion?  When you life consisted of JUST those special moments?


Well I'm enjoying seeing how the boys experience this at the young ages of 4 & 6. How they live for just those special times, and everything else is just insignificant. For weeks now they have been counting down the days until their cousins arrive from Oklahoma to spend a week with us. Each day, even though Skip KNOWS how many days are left, he still counts them on the calendar - just to be sure. I suppose in the mind of a six-year-old, it could change...
He has a list a mile long, of things he plans to do when Kai, Reia, & Cannon arrive. A list so long, it couldn't possibly be accomplished  in a month's time, but still the list keeps getting longer... And Harry, well, not quite comprehending "cousins", he follows along on Skip's coat tails, riding the high with him. Excited that SOMETHING is gonna happen soon - even if he doesn't understand what the something is. He runs around the house repeating the names of these three cousins of his, excited at just the pronunciation of their names as they roll off his tongue. I suppose that's what makes this stage even more special - the ability to be happy even though you don't know why - just going on the promise that something IS gonna happen...
Wouldn't it be nice to live our lives that way again?  Ignoring the mundane and just focusing on the good stuff? Believing in your heart you can accomplish many things in short amounts of time? I don't know about you - but I sure do!

2 much apprecitated comments from readers!:

Nicolle

I often say that I miss my childhood...no worries, lots of happiness and excitement. We can learn so much from our children, that's for sure! I bet the boys are so excited about their cousins' visit. I know it's going to be a great time for all of you!

Lisa

Oh definitely!