More visitors...of the non-human type.
We are SO enjoying all the critters that have decided to make our front yard their summer home! We've always had bird feeders, but for some reason, this year, word has spread and we have birds CONSTANTLY. We have cardinals - both male & female, orioles, crows, wrens, spallos, woodpeckers, finches, robins, hummingbirds by the dozens. I love mornings when the boys are still asleep and I can sit on the sofa with my morning coffee and watch them come and go. There are so many that we're up to 6 seed feeders, an apple holder, a hummingbird feeder and two Suet cages. But it doesn't end with birds - on a regular basis we have a couple of tiny chipmunks and squirrels - and most recently a baby rabbit has been checking out the seeds that fall to ground beneath the red maple tree! I found a really neat site online that lists birds by state - in a neat "book" format that lets me "flip" through the pages to identify them! You can even log your sightings.
Speaking of birds,oday the boys came running inside the house announcing they had found a bird. I held my breath figuring one of them was about to show me a dead bird but instead it was a tiny robin that apparently fell from a nest. I had them put it out near the woodpile in hopes it was learning to fly and would take flight, but apparently it's still hanging around. Hopefully it flies home to mommy! Skip very much enjoying holding it, and as usual, was so very gentle with it.
I have to admit birdwatching was never anything that interested me very much until I noticed just how many different visitors we were having. Now it's one of my favorite parts of the day...go figure!
love the way it hangs by its tail and eats!

4 much apprecitated comments from readers!:
WOW!!! AMAZING!!!
Can you bring MY yard to life like that?
Quiet mornings with my coffee cup would be one of my fav times of day as well if that was my view =)
Careful, if you scare that chipmunk it might fly away....
Wow!! What amazing photos!!!!
we've had alot more birds this spring also than usual ?!?!?
Post a Comment