Fresh veggies here...
Our garden is finally in full swing,and we're loving all the vegetables it's providing for us. Asparagus, our only perennial plant, has been providing us with a dinner vegetable at least 4x a week and is now slowing down. Just as well, we'd about reached out limit with it, and I for one was beginning to dread seeing it on my plate. Right behind it though was the green and summer squash. Once these take off, there is NO stopping them. The kids get the biggest kick out of "discovering" an over sized squash that they missed during their previous few garden checks since they have a tendency to get really big, really quick.
They're a little more versatile than asparagus, so we find lots of different ways to cook them. Just this week we've had steam zucchini, sauteed summer & green squash, and also added them to pasta sauce. When I run out of ways to put them on our dinner plates, I'll surely resort to zucchini breads - always a great summer breakfast. Spinach is doing well too and we've even starting blanching and freezing it for soups and stews come fall.
I love the fact that we never have to ask the boys twice to go help in the garden. It's an adventure for them. They're more than happy to look for ripe vegetables or check for pest damage. They'll follow right behind Mike, through the different beds, eager to learn and help.
Finding an interesting bug along the way is always a bonus for them. Nothing says summer like a boy watching a stink bug climbing up his arm. Ewwww.
The eagerness however ends there. When it's time to do the weeding, these boys are nowhere to be found or have a million excuses why they can't. I guess they wouldn't be kids otherwise.
Over the next few weeks we should have an abundance of tomatoes,
green beans,
and cabbage (if we can keep the pests at a minimum).
and cabbage (if we can keep the pests at a minimum).
They'll be followed by the carrots, potatoes, cucumbers, onions. And finally, for the first time in many years we have raspberries. They are not quite ready yet, but they sure are looking sooo good!l
What are y'all growing in your gardens?

3 much apprecitated comments from readers!:
I would LOVE to have your squash and zucchini! We love both so much. My mom gives us a lot of cucumbers and onions from her garden. I just don't have the patience to garden....maybe one day?!
found you via Nicolle's blog! Loved your American Express comment! You've got quite the garden growing there. Sadly I am a black thumb. boo.
Oh yum! I love asparagus!!
We grow peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, and um...I can't remember what else. It's my husbands project. I can't grow anything!
The boys LOVE to take care of the garden too.
Post a Comment