Friday, April 16, 2010

Frugal Friday...paper towel alternative

I actually got this idea from my friend Danielle, and since I've converted, I'm never going back! While visiting her one day I noticed a basket of what looked like face clothes sitting on her kitchen counter. When I asked her about them she told me it was her latest "Go Green" effort/money saving idea. Not thrilled with the amount of money her family of 6 threw away on paper towels each week, and always looking for "green" alternatives to common household products/tasks, she decided to use face clothes instead! 

I loved the idea and went out and bought several 3 dozen face cloths in one distinct color/pattern (to make it easy to distinguish between bathroom face cloths) and put them on my own counter. I then hid the paper towel dispenser until my family got used to the idea. I mean it makes perfect sense. We use them for wiping dirty faces after meals, wiping kitchen spills & messes, wiping greasy hands, and counter wipe downs. When I make popcorn for the kids, I hand them each one so they can wipe as they eat and when the boys wipe clean the kitchen/dining room glass as part of their daily chores (we now use a vinegar & water solution) - they use a "kitchen cloth" as well. For me, who has long used cloth napkins rather than paper napkins, this idea was the perfect companion.

Oh we still buy paper towels for those few occasions when nothing else will do - but - I think in the last six months I've probably purchased 4 rolls! Compare that to the 2 rolls we were buying per week and you can quickly see how much we're saving!

And now, it's time to go wipe up the milk Harry just spilled all over the kitchen table :)

5 much apprecitated comments from readers!:

Anonymous

What a great idea! I think I should try to introduce it in my family :)

Veronica Lee

That's a great idea. I'm definitely going to introduce it to the family.

J.

Go for it RT & Veronica! I am SO glad I did! We become so lazy that we literally throw money in the trash! It was to the point the kids would just grab the roll and keep pulling - then have way too much. Of course they wouldn't put any back, they'd wipe up the tiny spill with 18 paper towels and then throw them in the trash. I still keep them in an INCONVENIENT place for those things that nothing else will do - like drying off bacon!

Nicolle

I am definitely going to do this. I hate how much paper towels cost, and we use them up like crazy. This is a wonderful idea!

Lisa

Yay! Glad I'm not the only one who does this.