Hate to say it.
But. School starts on Monday. Being out of school since the second week in May, the boys are definetely ready to return to school. They won't admit they are, but trust me, they are. After waffling all summer about what curriculum to use, we went with something totally different - Timberdoodle. It being my first year using them, I opted for full curriculum for both. It took awhile to ship, but while we were off camping and hiking in NH, 80 lbs of books and resources arrived in the mail. Thankfully a neighbor was looking out for the box and kept it for us til we got home.
I think I am REALLY gonna enjoy this year as we are doing a little bit of everything rather than using just one publisher.
Both boys will use Apologia's Exploring Creation with Astronomy for Science. Apologia's science programs are geared for children 6 through 12, which is great for families with children at different learning levels.
They will both also be working from the same program for History, using Peace Hill Press's "The Story of the World" Series. We're using Volume One: Ancient Times.
I'm happy to say they'll also be starting a Russian language program by Little Pim. If it goes well, when they finish this program, we'll invest in a Rosetta Stone for Kids.
This year their Bible Studies will also be shared, using both Abeka Bible Reader and Gotta Have God 2: Devotions for Boys. I think they are going to really enjoy both of these!
Harry's also using:
Language Lessons for the Very Young, #1
Phonics Pathways
Now I'm Reading set, level 3
Now I'm Reading set, level 4
A Reason for Handwriting A
Evan Moor's First Grade Daily Traits
JUMP Math 1
Mathematical Reasoning B Grade 1
Evan Moor's Daily Word Problems 1
Wrap-Ups Addition
Wrap-Ups Subtraction
Skip will use:
Teaching Textbooks Third Grade Math Complete Set
Evan Moor's Daily Word Problems
Wrap-Ups Division
Evan Moor's Critical and Creative Thinking
Evan Moor's Daily Geography Practice, 3rd Grade
Language Lessons for the Elementary Child #1
A Reason for Writing Transition
Evan Moor's Third Grade Daily Traits
Typing Instructor for Kids
Sequential Spelling
Beginning Word Roots
The curriculum package also included LOTS of little extras that will make learning fun. Things like scented pencils, thinking putty, a 3D globe puzzles, Septoys, and so much more.
We opened the box on Monday, and once they took a look at what they'll be using, they were thrilled. Both boys have already begun to work on some of their books - without being told! They are truly eager to get going.
And so, while they look forward to a new year of learning, I'm gonna enjoy every last minute of carefree, unstructured time possible! And by the way, make no mistake, school may be starting in just 3 days - but our summer is far from over!




2 much apprecitated comments from readers!:
I love back to school time. We started Monday and by Friday, I was napping on the couch in the school room. It wore me out :) We use some of the same things as you guys. Have fun and a great year.
I am so not jiggy with all the structure of the school year.....but I do love new notebooks, routine, lattes and Bible study which starts next month ;-)
Post a Comment