As weeks go..
...this one seems like it has lasted about a 14 days and it's only Friday!
Monday it was back to school officially, and with that was the return of routines. Even though the boys and I all resist routines, we do function better with them. We actually thrive on them. Unfortunately we still resist them. With all our might.
This year both boys need equal amount of one-on-one time as far as curriculum goes, so while the first day went well, we knew it'll be a few weeks before we've reached that perfect balance. Our day was about 90 minutes longer than I had hoped (and probably 3 hours longer than they had hoped) but it's just gonna be a matter of rearranging our day. What does work is having Skip start his day with the two computer subjects he does on the computer; math and typing, then moving on a few other subjects he can do with minimal guidance: Daily Word Problems, Daily Geography, Critical Thinking & Daily 6-Trait Writing.
That leaves me about 60-75 minutes to work with Harry on Langauge, Math, and some Daily Workbooks as well.
The afternoon was spent catching up on laundry and lesson planning for the next few weeks.
Monday nite Devin & Matt came for dinner and then when Levi got home we had a mini-celebration of my birthday, Skip's 7-year Gotcha Day and Harry's upcoming 7th birthday.
By Tuesday we found that what will work is leaving the first part of the day as it is - and then take a break. 15 minutes of running around outside and a quick snack and they're ready to get back to work. It also gives me time to swap the laundry to the dryer and enjoy a second cup of coffee. It was still taking a bit to long though, so more tweaking. I decided that at 10:15 if Skip's not done with his independent work, the remainder gets put aside until what is now the quiet hour from 3ish til 4ish (aka MST or Moms Sanity Time). If it seems Harry is dragging his feet as well, I start setting aside the portion of work I know he can do alone as well so he can do them during MST. Tuesday was still an hour longer than hoped for, but I was optimistic. I also knew that we were doing more than normal the first few days so that Thursday when I had surgery, we'd have a really light day. More laundry, more lesson plan re-arranging, dinner plans, prep and cleanup, and yard work rounded out my day.
Wednesday we were actually done by 12:30. We did the routine above to start the day, followed by Science, handwriting and then History. They LOVE both the Science (Astronomy by Apologia) and the History (History of the World 1). Handwriting is generally not a favorite around here, but giving them a Smencil to do the writing made ALL the difference in the world. All three are done together which is another plus, and a time-saver for sure.
Following our group work I work with Skip on Language and Spelling while Harry works independently on Critical Thinking, Addition & Subtraction "Wrap-Ups" as well as Beginning Readers.
While we were done on time for the first time, it didn't make for an easy day. My vision being what it is right now I managed to miss two steps going downstairs and fell big time, skinning my knee and elbow and bruising my left shoulder big time.This happened as I was getting ready to leave for my last pre-op visit, making me late by 10 minutes. I hate showing up late for appointments! The visit took almost 2 hours and then it was a quick trip back home to grab the dog, then a grooming appointment. By the time we were done at the groomers it was almost 5 and time to think about making dinner.
Yesterday was just crazy. I was up early so I could do my devotions before anyone else go up, and get a load of laundry in the washer. The usual morning straitening up, cereal for the boys breakfast, and folding the previous day's laundry. We only had a light school load but Harry absolutely refused to cooperate. Skip was ready to start before our unusual time, and went right to it right after chores. Harry was just being difficult and refused to put ANY effort in. It went sorta like this;
Me: Ally is the subject our our sentence. Can you tell what part of the sentence contains the details.
Harry: No
Me: Can you try?
Harry: No. I don't know what details means.
(I again explain to him about "details")
Me: Now lets go over it. Who is the subject?
Harry: I don't know.
Me: I just told you, it's Ally (as I point to the picture of Ally, with her name beneath it)
Harry: Ally is NOT the subject.
Me: Yes, Ally is the subject, they tell us that right here. Our job is to find the details in the sentence.
Harry: ALLY IS NOT THE SUBJECT. YOU ARE WRONG.
Me: Fine, then you tell me who the subject is.
Harry: I DON'T KNOW.
It only went downhill from there. When my in laws arrived to give me a ride to my surgery, Harry has done NO school work. As a result I reminded him that what wasn't done today before I left would be done tomorrow. He wasn't impressed. Or motivated.
My MIL dropped me off and then the rest of the family went to IHOP for brunch. I was back home by 12:30 and rested all afternoon, napping intermittently following the versed they gave me as an anesthetic. Mike spent the afternoon outside with the boys securing all the loose toys, tools, lawn furniture, etc. in anticipation of Hurricane Irene. When I took the patch off at 4:00 as instructed, I had some double vision for awhile. That was short-lived. My eyes were just "scratchy" feeling the rest of the day, but the drops I put in every hour helped alot. By bedtime, I was feeling much better.
Today I managed to slam my left thumb in the bedroom door jamb. The nail is a really pretty color and I of course, not because I've had a manicure. Now I'm headed to the Eye Dr. for my first post-op, then to the store for a few groceries (if the hoarders left any) then will return home to oversee Harry's school day. He is not happy over the fact that Skip has the day off (we normally put in a four day school week so he is done for the week) while he is going to have to do school work. He's a bright kid who KNOWS why he has to do it the work today, but that won't keep him from playing dumb...
Tomorrow I need to have Mike at the marina for 7:00 so the boat can be driven to New Bedford Harbor where it will be hauled out of the water before Irene arrives on Sunday. That'll be followed by last minute garden harvesting to save whatever we can before the heavy winds.
At first glance, even to me, it looks like a crazy week, but then I realize that it's not so crazy after all. It's our normal, happily chaotic.

5 much apprecitated comments from readers!:
Goodness. That was exhausting to read. I hope you get a semi restful weekend and next week goes smoothly.
If Irene stays on track I'm thinking this weekend will be anything but restful, but then again, it's all part of His plan!
If Irene stays on track I'm thinking this weekend will be anything but restful, but then again, it's all part of His plan!
Sorry to hear about the mishaps. I'm sure things will be back to normal once again. Happily Chaotic won't live up to its name without the chaos!
Sending you hugs and prayers!
We use some of the same curriculum as you do. I really like the Evan-Moor workbooks. They go nicely with our workboxes, and the more reinforcements the boys get, the better! I will have to copy your MST!!
Post a Comment