Monday, August 3, 2009

Part 3 - Camping Trip

On Saturday, the church group packed up after breakfast to head home as scheduled, with a scenic tour of the Kangamagus highway on the way. Our plans were to stay in NH so we could visit with family, spending another nite "somewhere" before heading to their place further south. When Mike went to inquire about a single campsite for the nite the day before, the owner's son (I think) said there was no need to move for the night since they didn't have any groups coming in until Monday. That worked for us! So, while everyone packed up, we helped them, and planned to take the scenic tour with them since it was less than an hours drive away. Sounds like a plan? Well it did to us, but on check-out, Pastor was informed by the owner that we couldn't stay there since a group was checking in later in the day. Nice! We weren't happy with that news, but what could we do? Everyone in the group helped us move our stuff from the group site to site 77, and within 20 minutes we were ALL good to go! Just a slight delay!

We did part of the tour with the group, including a picnic lunch. The boys however got antsy, and schedule wise, it made more sense for us to head back to the campgroup. On the way we stopped to swim, finding a nice little spot by an overpass. There was nobody else around and the boys loved it! They slept on the rest of the way back, and then spent the rest of the afternoon learning to bait their own hook (well Skip was learning, Harry was watching him fight with the worms) and eventually, fishing. Not a bite, but it didn't seem to matter!

And then, for the third nite in a row, we had hot dogs and s'mores - followed this time by Jiffy Pop. The boys were asleep fairly early, and that gave Mike and I some time to ourselves to sit around the fire and talk without ANY interruptions! Heck, does it get any better?



Picnic lunch along the Kangamangus

The boys harassing Joey...

Joey & Skip deep in conversation
More fun with the big guys

Skip is showing one of the kids, Mike, something

Catching tadpoles believe it or not

Harry's got one too!


His serious look, I guess!

A quick "cheese" then back to exploring
Swimming in a spot we found along the road

Can you say "happy"?

Boy stuff...
Deep in thought...


"Who me?"



One of Harry's many silly expressions!

They had so much fun with a piece of drift wood...go figure
Being silly

and even more silly!


Playin' around in the river, along the back of our solo campsite





Learnin' to bait his own hook - if only the worms would cooperate
Night three of hot dogs!

Jiffy Pop was a HUGE hit with the boys

Harry, livin' large!


My little boy is "little" no more!

And yep, more s'mores!
Mike decides to have himself some marshmallows too...


This one looks done!


Nature calls


My two handsome boys!

6 much apprecitated comments from readers!:

Lisa

I Love Reading about the boys adventures!!! What lucky parents you are, what blessed kids they are!

The pictures of the boys together makes my heart especially happy!

Veronica Lee

I love looking at the pics of the boys but still can't tell who's who!!

Once again, I'd like to compliment you on your very happy and beautiful family.

Lisa

Um... I noticed that Harry is wearing a "I'm the big brother shirt" is there some sort of announcement forthcoming?

J.

Sorry Lisa, the shirt simply means I can't see well in the dark!

Lisa

Ah shucks!

kate

What a fantastic trip! You guys have had a great summer.

Do you have Mark Seibel's e-mail address? I need his help.