The final day: Camping Trip
"The best laid plans of mice and men oft go awry." Yep, our plans to spend Saturday with family fell through at the last minutes, so since the boys were pretty disappointed we came up with Plan B: Six Gun City - a short 15 minute drive north from the campground. I had only been there once before - about 20 years ago - when, ironically Levi was six years old! It has doubled in size since my first trip, having added water rides, roller coaster, mini golf & laser tag to their western themed park. I suspected the boys would enjoy it here - but I couldn't have imagined HOW MUCH. For starters I do not allow the boys to play with guns in my house - other than water guns - but in order to get into the theme here, you HAVE to get them one in the General Store. You see the park is all about the ol' west, and "Main St" buzzes with skits that often include the crowd. The highlight is the Kid Posse where they all help capture a bank robber, then serve as judge & jury. For me, I couldn't bring myself to buy the boys a "real" looking gun, but opted for wooden pop guns (the kind with an attached cork at the end for $10.00 and straw cowboy hats for $4.00) The boys were SO into this western thing it was hilarious!
Other activities include panning for gold, runaway log ride, stage coach ride around town, a talking miniature pony show and so much more. Six Gun City is one in a dying breed of "mom & pop" theme parks. Their admission price of $21.95 is FAR less than most, and, includes a pass to return anytime during the current season, free of charge. Food is reasonably priced (For lunch we got a LARGE pizza, with 2 orders of fries for $22.00) and if you'd like, you can bring your own food in. They have TONS of picnic tables throughout the park, including a large covered pavillion (with no food service facility anywhere in sight), thus making it easy to enjoy a home cooked meal with the kids seeing everyone else run around with junk food! Had we not been camping the previous 3 days, and out of food, we'd have packed a lunch as well!
With the exception of the panning for gold and some arcade type games, everything is included in the admission - even the laser tag. We arrived just after it opened, and had it not started to rain around 5, we would have stayed even longer. The staff is very friendly, the lines are short, and there is something to please everyone. I really, really, enjoyed the day. Harry's favorite ride was the roller coaster but loved the laser tag too. As a result we did both MANY times. Skip claims his favorite was the coaster as well, but he spent a LOT of time on the water slides. They were however equally happy and enthusiastic while watching the skits & plays, doing pony rides, or just plain using their imagination...
Twenty years ago when I brought Levi & Devin here I figured it was one one of those places you enjoy but due to distance, won't likely get the chance to do again...little did I know we'd be back - this time with two new little ones to experience the fun!
Checked the Sears Catalog but couldn't find one of these for my house. Darn.
OH! So THAT is why he stopped for a few seconds!
Skip patted the miniature pony...
Harry kissed it!
The Posse is sworn in...
"Don't let that bank robber get away"
Lunch time
A cowboy's Prayer - sign outside the Church
They're both a bit wet!
A shoot-out...
Yet another ride on the roller coaster.
Almost survived the day without getting wet/changing clothes...til this ride.
Crashed.


4 much apprecitated comments from readers!:
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this looks like so much fun!! What a great day, great photos, great memories.
I love their little wooden guns and hats, so "boy" and the picture of Skip reacting to the bear is just priceless.
I love the pics especially the one with Harry kissing the pony!
Love it all! It sounds and looks like y'all had a blast! I love your photo comment about Sears...let me know if you find one! LOL
You guys are so busy! The boys are very lucky and blessed to be able to do so many fun things! I love your pictures as always! :)
Post a Comment