Let the boating begin...

This past weekend our family took its first weekend boating trip of the season to Bassett's Island. The weather wasn't perfect but our family never cares about that. It's all about being back to what we love most - boating. Any worries we had about Harry were put to rest. He absolutely LOVED it. He was SO intrigued with the fact that we were LIVING aboard the boat, and in his words "eating sleeping on the boat 3 days." No motion sickness during the one hour ride over, and absolutely no fear. He enjoyed every aspect of it. He was thrilled when, a few minutes into the drive, Mike called him over and propped him on his lap so he could drive the boat. Such pride in his face!
Despite the fact that we had rain 1/2 the time, the boys swam, played on the shore, and took walks on the beach every day. Saturday was cloudy/drizzly/cold in the morning, but by 2ish it was beautiful. On Sunday the sun never quite made it out - and it was COLD. (Didn't stop them though.) Monday was perfect.
At one point, sitting back watching Harry and Skip in their matching USA T-Shirts I was overcome with emotion. THAT was what we waited four years for. And then, when they both put their American Flag Do-Rags on, it was hard not to be emotional...something about seeing these Russian born boys together finally, wearing the US flag on their shirts & heads did something to me... Words don't describe the feeling so I won't even try. Just know it's a good thing!
By the time we started our return trip home, Harry was a bonafide crew member on Itlldo. He kept saying he didn't want to go back home, and wanted to " sleep & eat on the boat everytime." We explained that Mike had to work on Tuesday but that we'd go back on Friday and he understood. Except EVERY morning he wants to know if its Friday yet. That's okay - I have weeks like that all the time!



11 much apprecitated comments from readers!:
LOVE the picture of Harry on Mike's lap! It's precious.
I can imagine the emotion you were feeling! What a special boating season this will be for you all! So glad your crew is FINALLY complete =)
Lisa,
I have the same picture of Mike with Skip from 5 years ago - I'll have to dig it out and post it....
That's awesome Judy. Your should frame (or scrap) them side by side =)
Cherish these moments, it brings me back to when my men now were their ages. I love the pictures you've taken and they have made me emotional thinking of the years that my boys spent with us doing the same exact things. Today is our 31st wedding anniversary, how time flys..........
Great pixs - the boys look so much alike sometimes I have to take a double look to figure out who is who!
Debbie, I too have to do a double take sometimes. I think alot of times it's because Harry wears stuff that was Skips, and that adds to the confusion!
It sounds like you had such a wonderful time. What a blessing to see your two little boys hanging out together in their USA shirts! You are such wonderful parents and the boys are so blessed to have such loving parents. I know however, you are Mike are also blessed beyond words!
Growning up and in my former life - we always had boats. I SO MISS those days (the boating, not so much the "former life"). Marty and I were just talking last weekend how we need to find friends with a boat. So, we're moving closer to you - need any more crew members? I have experience! And Marty is good for comic relief...and he can bring a guitar and sing :)
Sounds like such a wonderful time and I love, love the pics!!
Hey, I'm so sorry that I've gotten so far behind in the posts. It's been crazy around here with all that's happened with my sister. I've enjoyed getting caught up and yup, the jealously of boating season has set in. LOL
I LOVE the first picture of the boys in their USA t-shirts...and boating with Harry in person not just on your photo board is PRICELESS!!!
Happy Boating!!
Love ya!
I adore ALL of those pictures. Oh, to be on the water in a boat. You guys are very fortunate. The boys are going to have so many wonderful memories.
Post a Comment