Sunday, May 31, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!


Today my mom celebrates her 81st birthday.
 Happy Birthday Mom!

In thinking about her and what a remarkable woman she is, I've been reflecting on some of the most important things she has taught me while I was growing up:

1. "Clean behind your ears" - This basic hygiene lesson, as simple as it sounds, taught me from any early age that I need to respect and take care of my body. If I don't, who will?
2. "Look for bargains" - Growing up as one of six kids in a household where my dad worked and my mom stayed home with us, money was always an issue. This taught me to be frugal.
3. "Don't waste" - In our house we didn't have everything we wanted. We DID have everything we needed. Hand-me-downs were the norm. As long as something was still in good shape, it got passed along - from brothers to sisters, from one cousin to another, from one neighbor to another. It was just the way it was. In reality, it was my first lesson in recycling...who'da thunk it?
4. "Pray every day & in everything be thankful" No explanations needed but I must say this was perhaps THE most important thing my mother taught me. Thanks mom for teaching me how to always look to God - in thanks, and when in need. I can NEVER go wrong with this one!
5. "Be kind to others" - I don't think there's a person alive who doesn't see the benefits of this one!
6. "Clean your room" - I lived in apartments my entire childhood and while they weren't lavish, they were ALWAYS clean and neat. I have to admit, I never minded this rule. Mostly because I always shared a room with my sister. We were complete opposites - I was neat and she wasn't and it drove me nuts. So when her mess got to me, I could tell her "Mom said we need to clean up" and not be the bad guy. Love my sister - didn't love sharing a room with her most of the time though!
7. "Always make your bed before going out" - This one was HUGE for my mother. but, I must admit there have been a few occasions where I would have been mortified if someone saw my bedroom hadn't I made the bed. Emphasis on FEW. Very few.
8. "Learn to cook" - My mom is a fantastic cook and one thing we could always count on was a square meal three times a day. Mom loved to try new recipes and perfected many. She always made us try new things, but never forced us to eat things we didn't like. Like her, I love to cook. Mike and the kids thank my mom for this one! The bathroom scale doesn't.
9. "Eat your vegetables" - Growing up we were introduced to vegetables of every kind. As a kid I however, I ate corn & potatoes. That's it. Today, I LOVE vegetables and yes, know now the importance!
10. "If you took it out, put it away" - With six kids my mothers couldn't be expected to clean up after us. We were raised to understand that we were responsible for our own things and our own messes. We had no choice but to adhere - unless we could coerce a younger sibling to do it for us, which was rare. Let's face it - the world would just be a better place if EVERYONE followed this rule!
11. "Get outside and enjoy the fresh air" - I think out of necessity, my mother encouraged us all to go outside and play whenever the weather/circumstances permitted. Let's face it - 6 kids indoors all day would drive ANYONE crazy. Luckily, as a tomboy, I just loved playing outside and doing everything my three older brothers did. In doing so, I've learned how incredibly refreshing it is to step outside and breathe in the fresh air that awaits. As an adult, I LOVE walking outside for no other reason but to "smell" the world around me. Of course if my neighbors are cooking smelts on their grill, it's not a good thing...
12. "Say Please and Thank you" - In our house manners were expected at all times and while as a kid, it often seemed insignificant, raising kids in a society that as a whole, seems to have missed this lesson, makes me even more thankful I learned this early on.
13. "Respect your elders" - As a kid in the 60's & 70's our friends moms were "Mrs. So-and-So" or "Mr. Whoever". Seems today, everyone - regardless of age is on a first name basis. While in most cases there is no disrespect intended, it still drives me nuts! And as the ratio of those who are my elders vs. those who are younger shrinks rapidly, more than ever, I recognize the need to pass this one on to my kids. They have always been taught to address older people with a title of respect. Why? They're older, lived longer, and I - I mean "they" have earned it!
14. "A place for everything, and everything in it's place" - By now, y'all know I am a one who thrives on order, but then again, so is my mother. I can say I am not nearly as "order obsessed" as she is, but, I clearly learned this one from her! I thank you mom. Mike & the kids don't!
15. "Don't spent what you don't have." We grew up with very little in the way of extras. My parents both knew the importance of not spending money they didn't have, and lived their lives that way. They didn't' have credit cards. If they didn't have the cash, they didn't buy it. It was that simple. I would love to say that I have followed their example my entire life, but my credit card statements tell otherwise. I can say that I have learned the error of my ways and working to reverse that. Yes, it took me awhile, but I'm finally working towards "credit card debt free", daily. It'll be awhile, but luckily, I'm patient. Speaking of patience...
16. "Good things come to those who wait". I could write volumes on this one, but I'm state two of the more obvious. 1. Skip. 2. Harry. Having waited 9 months to bring Skip home after first holding him in my arms the first time, then four YEARS for Harry. I know patience... It has served me. well.
17. "Forgive others" - My mother is one of THE most forgiving people I know. She has set the bar so high on this one that at times growing up, it appeared out of sight. One of the biggest lessons I've learned from this is that it takes a wholes lot more effort to hold a grudge than to simply let go. Others might argue that forgiving is too difficult, but I say, that carrying the weight of that grudge is even more difficult.
18. "Treat others as you would have them treat you" - We all have heard this one, and from time to, have even practiced it. My mother, well, she just plain lived it. Never with a hurtful word for another - even when she wasn't being given that same respect. I can say honestly that this is one that was easy for me not only to grasp, but to implement. Far from perfection, but I try...
19. "Learn to share" - With 5 brothers and a sister, was there ever a time I didn't have to share? I shared a room, clothes, toys and the bathtub. Was it easy. Heck no. Was it fun - not usually. Did it teach me anything? You bet. AND when my own kids ask why THEY must share, I remind them that some day (perhaps decades from now) they'll know why: it makes for great "When I was a kid" stories!
20. "Make sure you're wearing clean underwear in case you get into an accident" - Okay, mom, sorry, but I'm STILL waiting to figure this one out...

For these life lessons, and so much more - THANK YOU.

3 much apprecitated comments from readers!:

Nicolle

That is a very sweet tribute to Mrs. O! Give her a hug from me. I agree that manners and kindness are some of the most important things we can teach our kids. I want Boyd to know that God made all of us and that is why we all look and act the way we do. I don't want him to ever make fun of anyone.

Mrs. O is very wise!! :)

Lisa

Awh... Love it! You're blessed to have such a wonderful mother!

Debbie

Lovely post! A great birthday tribute!