Butterfly Wishes
Butterfly wishes
Yesterday a butterfly
Came floating gently through the sky.
He soared up through the atmosphere
Then drifted close enough to hear.
I said, "I'd love to fly with you
And sail around the way you do.
It looks like it would be such fun
To fly up toward the summer sun.
But I have not your graceful charm.
I haven't wings, just these two arms.
I've been designed to walk around.
My human feet must touch the ground.
Then magically he spoke to me
and told me what his wish would be.
He said, "What I'd love most to do
Is walk upon God's Earth with you,
To squish it's mud between my toes
Or touch my finger to my nose.
I'd love just once to walk around
With human feet to touch the ground,
But I have not two legs that swing,
I haven't arms, just these two wings."
And so we went our separate ways
In wonder and surprise.
For we'd both seen God's precious gifts
Through someone else's eyes.
Author Unknown



This time last year we bought Skip a Bugville Butterfly Treehouse which is a collapsible mesh “tree house” that comes with a coupon that you mail in (along with $6.00 for shipping) to receive 5 - 6 Painted Lady Butterfly caterpillars. Sounds easy & fun, huh?Well unfortunately, Mike lost the certificate, and we couldn't find it anywhere. By the time we finally abandoned any hope of finding it, it was too late in the summer to send for them ( you're limited on when they'll ship 'em to you, since it has to be warm enough) so we decided we had no choice but to wait til this year. So about 3 weeks ago I coughed up the $15.00 and mailed away for the them, and in a few days they arrived. The boys were very excited, and each day they checked on them, in anticipation of what was to come. Yesterday three of them emerged - but one died right away. The remaining two were flying around like crazy all day so we decided to let them go free. The boys had SO much fun holding them, and then, finally, setting them free. One more has emerged, and we have two more chrysalis that we're still keepin' an eye on. We're yet to actually see them emerge, but the boys don't seem to mind, they just love seeing these beautiful critters and marvel at how they came from inside the tiny case.
Oh, and by the way, tonite at Dinner he announced that he found the certificate for the caterpillars a few days ago, so I guess we'll be sending for another set....before we lose it again!

7 much apprecitated comments from readers!:
Oh, those are wonderful pictures! love them!
These photos are simply precious. You really capture their awe... Love it!
Love the pictures! We did that last year and in fact, Evan asked yesterday if we could do it again (he found the butterfly house). I'll have to check, but I'm guessing it's probably too late, huh? That's so funny that Mike found the certificate!!!
Here is our's from last year...
http://hodges-family.blogspot.com/2008/05/caterpilliars.html?zx=ee28c15d72ab4a62
OMG! A butterfly just like the one Harry was holding landed on my rubber raft yesterday. I remember when we sent Harry balloons while he was in Russia....do you think this means something?
I dunno Toni, maybe...
Such beautiful pics and happy boys!!
What an amazing idea! On the odd occasion my kids have found a caterpillar and created a home for it...it ends up morphing into a moth. :) Your butterfly's are surely more entertaining and beautiful!
Post a Comment