Sunday, July 5, 2009

Two years ago...

as we prepared for he fourth of July celebration and I showed him the Tee Shirt I had picked out for the day we watch fireworks, he became upset and cried. Not because he was afraid of fireworks, but because 6 months earlier we left his brother behind in Russia on New Year's Day - after a night of the most spectacular fireworks display any of us had witnessed, and the memory of fireworks made him miss his brother so much. Through tears he told me he really didn't want to see the fireworks that night - or any night - until Harry came home. THAT was one of the toughest days for both us! Two years later, on our boat which was moored for the weekend in Cuttyhunk Harbor, this family watched fireworks together, giving thanks to God for bringing us all together!

We made the trip over to Cuttyhunk in thick fog, with poor visibility, but thanks to the boats Radar, we had no problems to speak of. Well no weather related problems. We did have a problem with the starboard engine, and about 1/2 of the way over we were only on one engine. Made for a longer trip for sure! The fog and forecast apparently kept many boaters away, and we pretty much had our pick of moorings. We all got to sleep around 11 and woke up to more fog, and a strangely deserted mooring field. In the past we've arrived here early on a "normal" Friday nite and couldn't get a mooring because it was already packed, so it was nice to enjoy a quiet Friday morning. Once much of the fog lifted we took the inflatable to the docks and took a walk around the Fish Pier then walked up Lookout Hill and hiked up to the lookout tower which gives a 360 degree view of Buzzard's Bay & Vineyard Sound. Even though the view wasn't as we've known it to be in the past because of the lingering fog patches, it was still a awesome sight. The highlight for the boys ws climbing up on the what remains of one of the five bunkers built by the Coast Guard in 1941 to watch the surrounding area for German U-boats. After making our way back down, the boys played a bit in the playground at the Schoolhouse (enrollment last year was THREE!) and made our way back to the village. We had hoped to stop inside the Historical Society but it was closed for the day, so instead stopped by the Frog Pond in search of those giant croakers, then stopped by Bart's Cart and ordered french fries for all of us to eat while the boys played in the shallow water near the Pier. By the time we returned to the Boat it was time for dinner and then an early night for all of us.

The morning of the 4th was brighter than it had been, and the boys thought it would be funny to "trick" Levi into thinking we forgot to bring a birthday cake for him, and put candles in his sausage patties at breakfast. And so we did, and Levi of course played along, thanking them for the birthday sausages. After breakfast it was gift time, and the boys were proud to give their big brother the cards they worked so hard on. The moorings were all filled by then, and it was a "normal" weekend in Cutty, with boat and people everywhere. We ventured over to Channel Beach, towing the boys in a tow tube all the way. They thought it was great! Turns out it was the bright spot of the adventure because it was REALLY windy, and after about an hour of being pelted by sand we all wanted to go back to the boat. We had lunch, then the boys enjoyed jumping off the swim platform into the water. Harry even jumped (literally) at the suggestion that they jump off the side of the boat, and before I could take a picture, he was in the water every time!. He'd jump down, splash into the water then swim over the platform and do it again! He truly has little fear!

After lots of swimming I got the boys to agree to naps - mostly because I NEEDED ONE - and all of did just that. Well all except Mike, who troubleshot the engine problem and was disappointed at what he found. He'll be spending some time repairing the engine before we embark on any more long trips!

Once naps were over we had dinner and then the long awaited birthday cake. Let's just say it was the ugliest cake Levi's ever had. You see I had this dumb idea to make a square 8' x 8' cake (spice cake of course - it's the Levi's favorite kind) then bake a second cake inside a tall can, then decorate it to look like a firecracker. I thought we'd put some of those sparkling candles in it, making it look like a real firecracker. Now I knew it wasn't going to be the easiest trip over with a cake, so I packed it best I could and purposely didn't remove it from it's container to look at it until it was cake time. Why? Because I figured there was a 50/50 chance the cake wouldn't survive. Well guess what? It didn't! it sorta looked like the firecracker exploded, and left a huge mess of spice cake all over the place. This didn't of course keep us from sticking candles in it anyway, and singing happy birthday before we devoured most of it. Yep, we're a strange group!

By the time we got cleaned up from the cake the fireworks were starting. It was SUCH an amazing experience. Not because the fireworks were any better than usual (not that they we're good!) but because we knew we had waited such a long time to be here together. I asked Skip if he remembered that Fourth two years ago, and he said he didn't. I wonder! Harry then asked why Skip has been sad, and I told him that he - Skip - missed him so very much, adding that we all had missed him. He thought a minute then said, "I was missing, Skip, TOOOooooo". It was very sweet.

Finally the fireworks stopped and we all got settled for the night. We all slept quickly, tired from the past few days of fun. This morning Levi took an 8:00 a.m. ferry trip home so he could be to work for noon. Since Mike had to drop him off, via dinghy, at the dock, we were all up early. We had breakfast, then Mike took both boys for their first kayaking venture of the year. We were very proud of Skip when he happily let Harry go first, knowing he had never had done it before. He helped steady the kayak while Mike & Harry got in, then encouraged them as he pushed them off. After Harry's turn was Skip's. Both boys enjoyed it alot! It was still only late morning, so we took a dinghy ride over to the Barge's beach, where remnants of shipwrecks can still be found. They loved playing in the waves and expended tons of energy before we headed back to the boat to have lunch. After lunch we made our slow journey back to Fairhaven on the one working engine. The seas were pretty rough (4 feet or more) but thankfully they were at our backs, so the ride wasn't half as choppy as it could have been!

Now at home the boys are outside running off the last of their energy, and Mike is out in garden. It was a weekend that wasn't without it's challenges; the starboard engine, fog, a disastrous cake, wind, and more, but yet I know years from now memories of them will fade and all we'll remember was the fun, and the time spent as a family!

Hoping y'all had a memorable holiday as well!


The boys jumping off the swim platform... Same form...
This is all I got of the first shot of Harry jumping off the side of the boat...
I did manage to get part of Skip though!
Takin' a break on top of Lookout Hill
At the bunker on the hill...


Walking back down towards the road


Family picture on the bunker...
The boys playing near the Fish Pier
On the way up to Lookout Hill, with the Harbor in the background


I can't believe how grown up he's getting. He's EXCELLENT at driving the dinghy.
A cold and windblown Harry at Channel beach, wearing my shirt to keep warm.

Ridin' in the towable on the way to the beach.
Helping Levi blow out candles
And helpin' him eat the cake...
My red, white & blue mealoaf "cupcakes"...I borrowed the idea from my April Fool's dinner...

The cake that looked as though a firecracker exploded in it!
T
Another patriotic meal from the weekend -red (strawberries & watermelon) white (bananas & whipped cream) and blue (blueberries) fruit salad..

I love this pose of the boys with the American Flag in the background, right after sunset last night...
Waiting for the fireworks to begin...

Apparently Skip liked this one, alot!
With my two favorite little boys...
Lots ooohhhs and ahhhhs
Two brothers who waited a long time for this nite!
I guess we were all in awe...
Skip & Mike in the kayak...
...and Harry with his Poppa...

a guy talk while on the beach this morning, sittin' near the remains of a shipwrecked boat!
Skip is helping his brother to get into the kayak!

Enjoying the waves...

Harry thought it would be fun to bury Sabaka in the sand...and Sabaka didn't mind one bit!

3 much apprecitated comments from readers!:

Lisa

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! So glad there are no more tears for Skip!

And Sabaka in the sand.. that is just too cute!!

Oh and Skip, way to go dude letting Harry have the first turn in the kayak.

Nicolle

I love all of these pictures. What a fun, beautiful and happy weekend. I think the cake looks fun and I love the meatloaf/potatoes!

Hodges Five

Such an emotional post filled with happiness. I LOVE the photo of the boys at sunset, I hope you're enlarging and framing that one!!!