Recipe to share
I have been reading the book "The Duggars: 20 & Counting" which has a ton of recipes in it, and came across this one for Slow Cooker Lasagne. Well unlike Michelle Duggar, I've got a "small" family to feed, so cut her original recipe down to 1/4 of the original and substitued a few things. I made it today and it was simpler, and more yummy than I imagined! My family raved so I thought I'd share:
28 oz jar of pasta sauce
1 lb of lean ground beef or turkey
teaspoon of italian seasoning
1/3 cup water
15 oz container of cottage cheese
1-1/2 cups of lowfat mozzarella cheese
4 oz. can of mushrooms (I despise mushrooms, so put in a cup of diced summer squash instead)
box of linguine noodles, cut in half (the original recipe called for lasagne noodles)
In a large skillet, brown meat along with the italian seasoning . Add to it the sauce and water and mix well. In the bottom of a lightly greased (I used non-stick spray) slow cooker, add a layer of uncooked linguine noodles. On top of the noodles add 1/4 of the sauce, then a layer of cottage cheese, and then 1/4 of the cheese. Repeat the layers four times. Cover and cook on high one hour, then reduce to low for 5 hours.
This fed three adults and two kids, and we still had half-left (I suppose because the garlic bread I made with it filled us up too!). It's a great potluck meal and really simple to prepare!
Enjoy!

6 much apprecitated comments from readers!:
Totally just wrote it down on a note card and can't wait to make it!!! Darren will be in Atlanta for the reserves this weekend, so this will be a great meal to prepare for the boys while he is gone! Thanks =)
Also, I despise mushrooms as well.
Also, 20 and counting is a great book-though I think 18 kids is a bit much.
Well I know for sure I'd be in a looney bin with that many kids, but did you read WHY they chose that path? You can't argue with THAT!
About how birth control caused the miscarriage? And they decided to let God dictate how many children they would have? I think they have a point. BUT at the same time... you can not use the pill and (IMO) adequately control the amount of children you have. So I find it a bit hard to believe that only the first few pregnancies were "planned". I mean come on... That's a lot of "Oh I guess God wants us to have another child and we had nothing to do with it"... On the other hand, I think it's neat... just not for me, as much as I love my kids. =)
Sounds yummy. (Is a slow cooker the same as a crock pot?)
Yep,Kate - same thing...
I've GOT to find one of those here!
Post a Comment