Monday, July 6, 2009

Prayers answered..

I really didn't want to include this in my long-winded weekend post, because I felt it meritted it's own post.


As I mentioned yesterday, on the way over to Cuttyhunk, the starboard engine started to make a loud squeal - which to me sounded like a belt or something - but meant we needed to shut it down and made the rest of the trip over in the fog, on just the port engine. Yesterday morning all the boats around us started to leave so Mike wasn't at all worried about getting off the mooring on just the one engine and he suggested we hit the beach before we headed home. The wind however picked up a bunch while we were at the beach, and even worse, when we returned to the boat Mike was worried when he discovered a new crew of boats had come in, filling in all the moorings around us. THIS would make it very difficult to get out on one engine. I suggested we have lunch and hope it thins out again, and he agreed. I could tell he was very nervous through the meal, watching the wind continue to pick up. Two moorings right in front of however emptied and he was sure we had the space we'd need to get out. (The problem was with just the port engine running, and the direction of the wind would make the boat veer to the starboard side once I unhooked the mooring line. Unable to steer to the starboard side meant that we had to time it just right. Just at the time that I got up on the bow, waiting for Mike to yell to me to unhitch, a huge sailboat began to approach the mooring in front of us. Mike was beside himself, convinced we'd never get out.

I suggested we pray on it, asking God to help us leave the mooring. Mike didn't discount the idea, but the practible, logistical side of him chirped in: "The only way we'll be able to get out is if one of those boats on the port side leaves, and that's not likely since they just got here a few hours ago". I again urged him to pray - but didn't wait for a response from him and prayed that one of those boats would leave.

When I tell you that one second after I finished praying, I heard an engine fire up, and both of us turned our heads to see one of the two boats get ready to leave, I am kidding you not. Mike quickly tried to start our engine, only to find the choke was stuck and it wouldn't turn over. Ugh! But he scrambled to pull off the engine cover, and released the choke, then ran back to the cockpit and fired it up. I jumped up on the bow, waited for the boat to shift in the direction we needed, unhooked, and got back down onto the deck. Mike steered the boat exactly as planned and we were golden. Not two seconds later another boat slipped towards the mooring that had just given us the space we needed. We thanked God not only for answering our prayers, but for his quick response! What an incredible God we have!

Matthew 21:22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

4 much apprecitated comments from readers!:

Lisa

Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever!

J.

Amen!

Veronica Lee

Yes, Amen!!

Hodges Five

It's always amazing to see God!!!