Wednesday, June 30, 2010

On biking...

So I've been biking around town for about 10 weeks now and have made huge strides in my endurance. I started slowly, and progressively worked my way up to an hour or so each time out, pedaling anywhere from 10 - 12.5 miles a day.  Along the way I've learned a few tricks of the trade so to speak, and am very much enjoying seeing the town from a different perspective - that is, seeing things I normally miss while zipping by in the car.  I've also made a few observations along the way, found some favorite routes, and overcome some challenges. 

My first observation is the squirrels.  It seems to me that half of the towns squirrels can be found along Reed Road.  Most of them scurrying in underbrush as I pass by, but many are not so motivated. Why? Well I can't tell you that, but I can tell you that each day I see several of 'em just lying there in the road, belly-up, sunbathing.  :)

I've also noticed a definite increase in rabbit activity lately. Maybe they too love the sun, and venture out more as the temperatures rise. I haven't seen any of them sunbathing, however, so perhaps they're a bit smarter than the squirrels.

Behind Target there's a little pond where several ducks like to visit too. A few months ago I'd see and hear the ducks every time I rode by it. On a few occasions I saw the same cat sitting by the edge of the pond, poised to pounce.  That could have something to do with the fact that the ducks aren't in the pond very often any more.  Hmmmm.

As for the actual physical aspect, I've learned that I get faster and stronger each day.  Today I had my best bike yet, covering 12. 2 miles in just under an hour. It was also my most difficult, yet favorite route, so I'm more than happy with my time today!  I've also found that a $8 pair of riding gloves, as well an inexpensive fanny pack make the trip alot easier. The gloves make all the difference in the world and the pack holds my cell phone, a few bucks in case I want to stop and pick up milk or similar items from Walmart, and a lightweight back sack to hold my purchases in. (I rarely stop there, but it has been handy on a few occasions). 

I've also noticed that I can forecast the weather fairly accurately using only my water bottle. Every nite I freeze a bottle of water and take it with me on my trip.  Heading out between 6:15 and 6:30, returning an hour later, I have, until now, returned home with about 1/3 of a bottle of "cold water. On days that aren't sunny I often still have ice in the bottle, and on warmer days, though the ice has melted, the water is still refreshing. Yesterday, about 2/3 of my way through the ride I stopped for a drink and found that not only was the ice gone, but the water was already warm. I just knew it was gonna be a scorcher yesterday! Who needs the local weatherman? I sure didn't!

As for challenges, being the scatter-brain I am, I often forget something when I head out. Sometimes it's important things, like my helmet, and other times I forget my sunglasses. I've also forgotten my cell a few times, and while I've never used it along the way, it's my security blanket.   Another challenge is my bike. It's older, the gears don't always shift properly, and has the world's most uncomfortable seat. I did invest in a padded seat, which helps alot, but it's still not what I'd consider comfy.  My biggest challenge however are the two very distinct spots along my favorite figure-8 route.  They are not even physically challenging, but rather, psychologically. It's kinda hard to explain, why I struggle with them, but maybe some pictures will help.  This is the first, and the second and finally, problem number 3. If those links don't make it perfectly clear for you, I'll give you a little hint. All three are locations are related to this. 

Yes, it's a huge weakness for me. I find it very painful to drive by them each morning, smell the aroma that seems to be calling my name, and keep on pedaling.  It's excruciating and unrelenting, but, I figure I'll overcome it. Some day. Maybe in about 5 years?

0 much apprecitated comments from readers!: