Monday, June 21, 2010

Back in the groove...

With a month of boating under our belts this year, it's fair to say we're back in the groove. The boys are testing new waters so to speak, being allowed privileges that go with their maturity. Skip can now start up the dinghy and navigate it like a pro. He'd love to drive it alone, but is learning he has a few more years (legally) until that will happen. Harry is learning to drive it as well, improving with each passing week.  They explore a little further, and recently took their first solo kayak ride (together that is) but with no adults aboard.  Mike sat on the swim platform watching them paddle off together, and I in turn noted a look of pride of his face. He has taught them well! It was fun to watch Harry paddle, and Skip, as he should, taking his cue from his little brother, matching stroke for stoke, and working hard to follow Harry's rhythm.  They got almost to the shore of the beach before I convinced Mike to hop into the dinghy and check on them.  When they returned they said they had an awesome time (even after Poppa came to check on them). 

They've also been given more responsibility on the boat, and have been tasked with packing and hauling their own beach gear. Whenever we go ashore, they now pack their backpack with all they'll need, including sunglasses, doo rags, a towel, sweatshirt, snack, etc. They also need to load their own beach chair, and transport it from the dinghy to the beach.  If they forget something, they have nobody to blame and so far so good, it works like a charm and makes my job just a little easier.

While I love to see them mature and take on new experiences, I am in no way, shape or form, "wishing" their childhoods away. I'd be happy to keep at this age forever, but we all know, God didn't intend it that way. So as they grow, we'll grin an bear it, ever thankful for this opportunity to raise such amazing little boys!



1 much apprecitated comments from readers!:

Veronica Lee

Do I see clams in the pictures!??