Friday, June 18, 2010

Harry-isms

Although Harry has full use of the English language and speaks no Russian any more (other than the occasional defiant "nyet" meaning "no") he hasn't quite mastered it. In fact, he sometimes just plain butchers it. But it's a funny butchering. Some things are just indescernible (not many) some funny, and some crack us all up. One thing is for sure, if he's in doubt, he just fakes his way through a word or phrase without missing a heartbeat! We do correct him and slowly the "harry-isms" are fading, so I figure before they all disappear I should post some of our recent favorites.

Harry:  Skip, can you do me a favorite?

Harry(aboard the boat, early morning, before the fog lifted): Can you turn the windsavers on?
Mike: the what?
Harry: the windsavers!
Mike: What do you mean?
Harry: (With a hint of impatience) You know, the windsavers, to make the clouds go away so I can see out the windsaver.
Mike: Ohhhh, you mean the windshield wipers?
Harry (Most impatiently) Yeah, that's what I said!

Mike: Do you boys wanna take the kayak out alone this time?
Skip: Yeah!
Harry: Yeah! But can I have the small pedal?
Skip: Harry, you mean paddle?
Harry: what else! (Meaning, we presume, whatever!)
c
Harry: (as we watch Animal Planet) Ut-oh, that horse is stuck in the mud now
Me: Yep. What do you think will happen?
Harry: I dunno but he's sure up a creep and he doesn't have a pedal!

Me: Harry, you know that taking someone's things is bad and that even if nobody else saw you, God did!
Harry: (pondering) Yeah, God always shows up when I'm being naughty. (more pondering) How come?

Harry (for the 50th time in 5 minutes): Can I please have a drink.
Me:  Harry, for the upteenth time, I'll get you a drink as soon as I'm done folding this laundry.
Harry: (30 seconds later) Um, now can I have a drink?
Me: Harry, better idea, can you go fly a kite so I can finish this laundry?
Harry: Um, I don't know (as he walks out the back door.)
Me: Where are you going?
Harry: To see how windy it is, Poppa says we can only fly a kite if we have enough wind.

Harry: (Upon hearing a song on the car dvd player) Guys, wait, I eggsRnice that song! I learned it with Mrs. Newcumber.

<>

Me: Harry, I'm making hard boiled eggs for Skip, you want the same?
Harry:  Ummm, can I just have them scrabbled?

Me: I'm ready to leave, have you guys finished your chores?
Skip: Yep
Harry: Not zach-ah-lee

Harry: Can I have another ice cream
Me: Sorry, you just had one and it's too close to dinner
Harry: Can we move dinner far away? Then they wouldn't be close!

3 much apprecitated comments from readers!:

InventingLiz

Funny! Elfe calls the windshield wipers "swish-swishers" because of the "wheels on the bus" song!

Nicolle

Cute! i love windsaver the most! :)

Lisa

Oh my word, so glad you posted this! Precious!!!