All good things must come to an end, and so, we're done
with boating weekends for 2009 that is.
And so, as tradition dictates, we loaded up and watered up (the boat that is) and took off for Bassett's Island for the long holiday weekend. It's kinda fitting since this is the same place we "officially" begin our boating season each Memorial Day weekend. It's a glorious place with a beautiful beach, a full-service marina & restaurant (though we haven't felt the need to go ashore to enjoy either for the last few years), and beautiful sunrises and equally beautiful sunsets.
At times it seems that our summer has just begun, yet when I look back at all the things we did as a family - it's clear we had one full summer. And while most summer weekends this year were far less than perfect weather-wise, this one was just what we hoped for: warm and sunny days, and crisp, clear nights.
Although we we were in constant motion - the pace was slow and relaxing - and as usual, made lots of memories along the way. We slept in - sorta kinda - had long leisurely breakfasts, did just a little bit of homeschoolin', spent time with family and friends, had a fire on the beach on Sunday night, built giant sandcastles, explored the sandbars and caught all kinds of critters, cooked s'mores one last time, learned to sail on the sunfish, and did finished up the last of our summer reading.
We also discovered a pirates map on the beach on Monday, and followed the clues to some real pirate booty! One of the kids favorite activities though, was our now annual Labor Day Sand Sculpture. Last year we built a pretty cool (for amateurs) car, and this year we built an equally cool Pirate ship. I'm not sure if the kids enjoy building it - playing in it - or destroying it at the end of the day - but no matter what, it's a fun family activity. As much as I will miss our weekends, I am looking forward to all the other fun activities that autumn in New England offers: apple picking, a visit to the pumpkin patch, a corn maze, and everyone's favorite - rakin' leaves out back! While I'm postin' a few pictures from our weekend here, you can view all of them at our Shutterfly site.

5 much apprecitated comments from readers!:
Awwwh... I'm sad to see it go. Your pictures and adventures are always a joy to read.
At least you already have fun activities planned for the fall, and you know, that of course next year you get to do it all over again... boating that is =)
Ps. Shutterfly wants a password.
ugh, I'll have to deal with Shutterfly in the a.m....I'm too tired!
Ahoy there! Love the pics. It's always such a treat to visit your blog.
What awesome pictures! I love the sandcastle boat, I can't wait for Evan to see that one!
Post a Comment