Thursday, March 26, 2009

I love him even though he…

Since we got home from Russia, Mike & I have been attending the Marriage Classes at Church as part of the Adult Sunday School program. Generally you have a choice of two programs, so we chose this one thinking it would be interesting (which it has been). This past week we talked about loving our spouses despite the things they do that drive us a bit crazy and Pastor was reading a Bible Selection, and inserting "despite the fact he leaves his socks on the floor" as a example.



Tonight as I was watching my wonderful husband give the boys their bath, I was reminded of Pastor's lessons from Sunday. Why? Because his way of having them rinse their freshly shampooed hair is to tell them to put their heads under the now grimy bath water! To me, this is crazy. To him, it makes sense. Hmmm. I then began to think of all the other "crazy" ways of doing things and quirky habits and before long I had myself a list that went something like this:


I love my husband even though:

  • He does indeed leave his socks on the floor every nite!
  • You need a road map to find ANYTHING on his desk.
  • Thinks it's okay to wear black socks (and I don't mean black sports socks) with sneakers. (Thankfully not when he's wearing shorts!)
  • A few weeks ago, when he noticed the hem on pants had come down (reportedly "just" before it was time to leave for church) instead of changing his suit, he STAPLED the hem!
  • He can't fold clothing.
  • He is always late
  • He has more stains on the front of his shirts than the boys
  • He thinks turning sox inside out is an option for clean sox
  • He lets the snooze on the alarm clock go off just long enough to wake ME up, THEN he get's up!
  • He never remembers to put the trash/recycling out
  • He snores!
  • He uses up all the cream for coffee
  • He insists on attempting to teach me how to change the oil in my van despite the fact I refuse to learn
  • I need to hide cookies on him to keep him from eating then at night
  • He puts EVERYTHING in his pockets including pens, receipts, biz cards, hard candies, nails, screws, bolts, etc. then at night, takes it all out, leaves it in a heap, then puts it all back in his pockets the next morning. Heck, he'd lose 10 lbs if he empties his pockets once in awhile!
  • He can't find anything I ask him to get. He swears it's not there, so I get up and there it is EXACTLY where I told him it was! "Man Looking" I believe it's called!
  • HE opens junk draws, takes out scissors, cut whatever it was he needed the scissors for, then leaves the scraps IN THE DRAWER with the scissors.
  • He tells the same jokes over and over again until I threaten him, just to make his stop!
  • He leaves all Christmas shopping to me, then stresses when he goes out to shop for one person – me – on Christmas Eve and he can't find what he wanted!
  • He's in love with his blackberry
  • His idea of cleaning up after a fix-it job around the house is to shove tools, trash, and anything else he can find in a box, putting the box in the shed, and then forgets about it.

SO you see, there are tons of things he does/says/doesn't do that drive me nuts. BUT, despite it all, he's the best husband & father ever! My husband is awesome and I know it. So, thanks honey for being you – I wouldn't trade ya for anything!


4 much apprecitated comments from readers!:

Lisa

Soooooooooooooooo funny! I could relate to so many of these!!!

Wonder what our husbands would say if they were to make a "I love her but..." list?

J.

Hmmmm, what could they possibly find fault in?

Lisa

True...
Darren's would probably look something like this:

I love her although: she is super clean and organized

I love her although: she's picky about what the entire family eats and makes sure we all eat healthy

I love her although: she trys to spend time in the gym everyday but Sunday

I love her although: she encourages me to keep my socks and underware in the hamper as opposed to on the floor

I love her although: she reminds me to brush my teeth and PUT DEODORANT on

Dawn

Judy, what a great post!! And, it's wonderful you are so in love with him and still see the good. =)