Thursday, May 27, 2010

Family traditions...

I know families have all different traditions they enjoy when they spend time together and those traditions are quite diverse.  Some families gather at that special restaurant, others gather round the family table for an ethnic meal, and others throw some steaks on the grill and catch up.

Well my family is none of the above. We do it differently.  Last night my youngest brother and my nephew arrived from Oklahoma for a 5 day visit, and today we touched base to set up a time to get together. All Skip could think about since yesterday was seeing his cousin Kai. Harry has met Kai, but that was shortly after we got home from Russia so his memory is kinda foggy. EVERY 10 minutes Skip asked me "are they coming yet", right up until the minute they pulled into the driveway.

After hugs and kisses, this family sat down to bond the way only WE do it. Two stick breads  and a box of donuts from Leddy's bakery in Fall River.  The kids and Grammie shared the donuts, leaving the stick breads for Bob & me.  I should mention that you don't cut the stick bread, you break it, and that butter is optional.  Either way, it's just good stuff! 

The boys got in some trampoline, Wii, and outdoor play before they had to head back to my other brother's house for dinner. We'll catch up with them again this weekend when they drive out to meet us on the Cape where our boat will be anchored for the long holiday weekend. 
Hmmm, wonder if I can convince him to bring a bread or two when they do come.....Guess I had better do an extra long bike workout in the morning just in case!

Skip, Harry & Kai on the Land Shark...notice who is pushing!
I think this was the point I realized none of them had shoes or knee pads!
Saying good-bye is always the hard part...
Well, that, and having to work off the calories we consumed!

1 much apprecitated comments from readers!:

Lisa

Aww, so great you got to have family visit! Hmm... now I'm hungry for donuts.