What do I look like, a walking version of Wiki?
Living in a house with two very curious boys with analytically inclined minds, I spend a good chunk of my day fielding questions. Sometimes, really off the wall questions. Used to be they were pretty easy to answer. As they get older however, and their questions become more complex, I find myself spending more and more time online. Binging. As in, scurrying to find answers via Bing, before they discover their mother does not in fact, know everything.
In the last 24 hours I've been asked, in particular order:
What's does flout mean?
Is a mourning dove really a dove?
Do you think Noah sent a mourning dove or a regular dove to check for dry land?
How old are squirrels when they have baby squirrels?
How long did it take Mary and Joseph to get to Bethlehem from Nazareth?
What color is the sun?
Have YOU ever seen a sarcophagus?
Who invented the Internet?
If the Upper Delta is south and the Lower Delta is north, were the Egyptians confused about east and west too?
How many days old will I be when I'm 21?
When birds migrate south, do they stop to sleep?
Why are they called fruit flies and how long does a fruit fly live?
How many earths would fit inside the sun?
What are fingernails made out of?
How big can a rat get?
Could somebody drink too much water?
Do your eyes grow when you get bigger?
Seriously. Sarcophagus? I had never heard the word before, let alone, know how to spell it, or know what it meant. I am the only parent who feels more than a bit uninformed when their kids ask these types of questions? If not, what are YOUR kids asking these days?

7 much apprecitated comments from readers!:
I love it! My son was/is just like that. Of course, when he was very young we didn't have a computer so when he would get interested in something (ancient Egypt, birds of prey, dinosaurs, sharks....), I'd say, "I don't know - let's go get a book and look that up!" My favorites are those Eyewitness books. We still have the whole collection which is a wonderful example of all of his phases - from World Wars I and II to pirates to the Civil War to ancient Rome.
That is so wonderful that they are so curious - and that you are such a great mom and are willing to look all that stuff up for them!
I'm right there with you! The random question of the day today that I got was: Do you think God ever plays with the Earth...like tosses it around or anything? Gotta love these kids and their curiosity!
These are hysterical! My boys are the exact same way! I say "ask your dad!" My daughter just tells us what she thinks the answer to all life's questions are. :)
LOL!!! My boys used to drive me crazy with their neverending questions and an answer always led to yet another question!
These days I just yell "Go google!"
I love your list. What a great snapshot of the day.
Um--do your eyes grow as you get bigger?
They do Kate!
The average newborn's eyeball is about 18 millimeters in diameter then grow gradually to a length of about 24-25 mm in adulthood.
Good to know. ;>
Post a Comment