Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Not sure which is more disturbing...

I'm using a great Language Arts book with Harry this year, entitled Language Lessons for the Very Young. As the cover says, "It's Charlotte Mason flavor for beginning students". Since the one area Harry seems to struggle with is expressive Language, this book is PERFECT for him.


A few days ago he had to list all the members in his family using their first and last names, with emphasis on using capital letters to begin each name.  That went fairly well. Today, Harry had a hard time settling down to do his work. He is almost always this way after a long weekend, and after a particularly excitable day or event.  He continues to struggle with Sensory overload issues, and while it's much better than when he first came home, it is still very much there.  Anyway, today was not going well for him and as the morning went on, things began to go downhill.  The scowl tells it all:


Fact is he just did not want to be doing schoolwork. When  I finally felt that he was fairly "focused" and somewhat compliant I gave him the next Language assignment which said he was to write a short paragraph about his family.  I left to go do something for no more than two minutes and when I returned he had written one sentence.  See for yourself what he came up with:



I wasn't sure WHAT to think, so I asked him to read to me, what he had written. Puzzled, (as if he couldn't fathom that his mother couldn't read for herself, the four word sentence he had just written) he said "Judy Holmes is tired."  Initial relief on my part, but then I began to contemplate.  I mean really, I'm not sure which concept disturbs me more - the fact that I'm a turd or that the best thing he can come up with is that I'm tired. I still haven't decided. May need another cup of coffee and a few minutes to try and figure this one out. Definitely going for the caffeinated...apparently I need it. At least in Harry's eyes.  

Oh yeah, and when I asked him why he wrote my name and not Mom, he said it was because the last time I told him to write my FULL name.  I guess THAT part makes sense. In a Harry sorta way :)

2 much apprecitated comments from readers!:

Nicolle

OMG. THAT is hilarious. :)

kate

Now, I read "tired" right away...

I got RAZ-kids (I found a coupon) and have lots of spots left. Want me to add your boys?

E-mail me: onlyk8 at yahoo.com