Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sometimes you lose one...

...and sometimes you already have a spare waiting in the wings...

Such is the case for Harry who today, 2 weeks short of his 6th birthday, lost his first tooth. Ever since Skip lost his first tooth last winter Harry has been wiggling his teeth daily to see if his were loose - so he could score a few bucks too.  It had been loose for about 6 weeks and today he was playing with it and it started to bleed. It freaked him out but I told him it was just because it was really loose and would soon fall out.  He tried pulling it out himself to no avail. Skip tried pulling it out for him (after two teeth, he's a veteran you know) but that didn't work either. He asked me to try. {Ugh}

Anybody who knows me knows its one of the things I detest doing. It gives me the creeps, quite honestly. I never pull them out - just ask my grown kids!  Anyway, I do generally give a tooth a token pull, just to say I tried, so I told Harry I would try - ONCE.

And so, he opened, I lightly grabbed the tooth {ewww} and pulled ever so lightly. What do you know, it came out. I'm not sure who was more surprised - me or Harry.

But the story doesn't end there. You see a few weeks ago we noticed that the permanent tooth was already poking through his bottom gum, right behind the wiggly one. So today, Harry lost his first tooth, but if you look closely you'll see, he already has a new one about 1/3 of the way out.

Notice the new tooth sitting right there behind the others!

Although the Tooth Fairy exists no longer in our house, I did assure him that if he put under his pillow he'd have something waiting for him in the morning.  I suppose it's only fitting I helped him "lose"  his first one!

1 much apprecitated comments from readers!:

Veronica Lee

Love that grin!