Tuesday, August 24, 2010

6 Years Ago today...

Outside the courthouse in Irkutsk
after entire day spent in a tiny courtroom in Irkutsk, Mike and I became the parents of a beautiful 20-month-old boy named Skip. The little boy we first held in our arms some 9 months earlier was legally our son!

As tradition dictated we left the courtroom and celebrated the occasion at one of only two restaurants in the town where he was born: Angarsk, Russia. Hours later we returned to the small but cozy apartment that we'd call "home" for the next 2 weeks and began our new life as a family. We would spend those next few weeks bonding as a family and exploring the town where he was born as our facilitator and translator prepared the paperwork  necessary for us to leave the country with our new son. Here are some pictures from that memorable time in our lives:

First official family photo
Father and son
Bath time...learning to enjoy the tub, one inch of water at a time!
Sharing ice cream with my momma (nothing compares to Russian Ice Cream!)
There's a new Captain on this ship!
Playing with the toys kept in the apartment
Momma is teaching me to fish (cuz she's the best at it!)
Hmmm, what can I get into next??
You can make me nap but you can't make me lie down!

Momma just got back from  the grocery store but just who is babysitting who?
Since he learned pretty quickly how to climb out of the portacrib, this was his bed for the remainder of our stay in the apartment: a walled off area of the bedroom.
One happy boy
Tickle time
Learning to brush!
Visiting one of the many villages along Lake Baikal
Mommy's time to tickle
Who needs a spoon? I'll just use my hands.
Momma was right, eating my food is giving me muscles!
Life is good! A walk in the park, my cheerios container, and a flower for my Momma!


Life was indeed simple but good, and since then time has passed so quickly!   It's hard to remember  when Skip wasn't in our lives yet not a day goes by I don't thank God for entrusting us with such an amazing little boy.

7 much apprecitated comments from readers!:

Lisa

Congratulations! We love you!

Lisa

Congratulations! We love you!

InventingLiz

Wow, thanks for sharing your trip down memory lane! And congrats on the anniversary!

J.

Thanks Lisa! Liz, thanks for commenting. Since I print the blog, it serves as our family history, and I love having input from family and friends!

Nicolle

These pictures make me smile! I love the first official family photo, and the one of him sleeping in his pack and play, sitting up. Congratulations on 6 years. Time flies! I remember when Fawn was telling all about your journey!

Veronica Lee

Congrats on the anniversary! That was a beautiful trip down memory lane. Love the pics.

Have a nice day, Judy!

Carol

Oh Happy Day! Love the pictures! Made me cry. I had just joined the Irkutsk group shortly before you brought Skip home. I remember being so excited for you and anticipating our time.