Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Looks like we made it...

by Shania Twain was one of two songs at our wedding 9 years ago. Each time I hear it I return to that happy day...



(When I first saw you, I saw love.
And the first time you touched me, I felt love.
And after all this time, you're still the one I love.)

Looks like we made it
Look how far we've come my baby
We mighta took the long way
We knew we'd get there someday

They said, "I bet they'll never make it"
But just look at us holding on
We're still together still going strong

(You're still the one)
You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're the one I want for life
(You're still the one)
You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of
You're still the one I kiss good night

Ain't nothin' better
We beat the odds together
I'm glad we didn't listen
Look at what we would be missin'
I'm so glad we made it
Look how far we've come my baby

Nine years ago today I married the love of my life at TFGreen Airport in RI at the Southwest airlines gate at the end of the terminal. The story somehow was picked up not only by the local news, but affiliates across the country. It was a marriage many said wouldn't last. Instead of rice, they passed out peanuts - and once the ceremony was over we were whisked away in one of of those carts reserved for the handicapped. The reception at Chelo's Waterfront, was about the closest thing to "conventional" as far as our wedding went. The story that Southwest Airlines posted on their website entitled "Love is in the Air" can still be viewed here. Our honeymoon - which was planned entirely by Mike, was about as bad as it could get. Let's just say it's the last vacation HE'S planned for us!

Yet THAT was just the beginning! Having both been married once we had each raised three kids already, and while we didn't plan on any more kids, we did plan on beating the odds.

Today we are happier than ever, and by the grace of God, have added two beautiful children to our family. Two children who grew in our hearts, having been born half a world away in Eastern Siberia.

Our life is far from conventional, but it's an incredible life. With grandkids older than our little ones, and lots of blended relationships, we wouldn't trade it all for all the riches in the world. We don't have alot of "stuff", but our love grows with each passing day. It hasn't always been easy, but each obstacle we overcame brought us closer and made us stronger.

Had anyone told me 12 years ago I'd be married to the world's best husband and father, and become a stay-at-home homeschooling mother to little boys, I would have told them to think again. Yep, our life has been filled with all kinds of crazy twists and turns yet I thank God each day for his tremendous blessings.

Happy Anniversary honey - you're still the one!












4 much apprecitated comments from readers!:

Veronica Lee

What a beautiful couple you both make!!

Happy Anniversary!!

That's my fav karaoke song too!!

Lisa

Judy! The pictures are beautiful, the story touching, and the song moving! What a great love story you tow have! Congratulations on 9 years together! Hope it was an extra special day today!

Debbie

Congratulations! Never thought you'd become frequent flyer to Russia, eh? How God leads us!

Nicolle

Where have you gone? Are you doing ok? Forgive me I thought I commented on this post. It was beautiful!