Not again..
Our homeschool day started out quite nicely (for a Monday - which is always an adjustment day), and while Skip worked independently on his Math and handwriting, I sat with Harry and went through magazines, looking for pictures that demonstrated the preposition "BELOW". Last week we did two mini posters, one entitled "BETWEEN" and the other, "BESIDE". Harry likes this kind of lesson as it is a break from the conventional - if not boring - counting & letter learnin'. Each time we see a page with an appropriate picture (i.e. the boy is BELOW the umbrella) we tear the page out. Once we have enough pages, Harry is tasked to cut out the pictures. From there we move to gluing the pictures to the page, and finally, finding the letter that spell the title and pasting them on.
So we got enough pages and Harry went over to the couch to begin cutting the pictures out as I returned to Skip and begin his Phonics lesson. About a minute into our lesson Harry exclaims "Look at my hair". Normally not an alarming exclamation, but very alarming when he is sitting with scissors in his hands. Ugh. The dialogue went something like this:
Harry: Look at my hair!
Mommy: HARRY, did you cut your hair, AGAIN?
Harry: I dunno.
Mommy: You don't know? You either did or didn't - did you?
Harry: Can I go look in the mirror?
Mommy: No - and let me rephrase. Did you TRY to cut your hair?
Harry: Does my hair look cut?
Mommy: Come here please and let me see your head because this conversation is going in circles and making me dizzy.
Harry: I'm not going in circles.
Thankfully, the tiny little piece he cut isn't really noticeable - in part because his hair is already pretty short.
This is the THIRD time he's done this, and all three times I've been right there with him. Needless to say I wasn't happy. Bottom line was he wasn't allowed to do "fun" work today - and the project was put on hold. Instead he got to practice his letter formation, and number formations. As a result, he wasn't happy and it was the beginning of a downward spiral for him, academically today.
At this point I'm wondering how old he'll be before he stops trying to cut his hair, and wondering if I should just make it easy on us all and have Mike shave his heard until he's 12. Yup, the joys of parenthood!

6 much apprecitated comments from readers!:
LOL, oh my goodness. Aidan hasn't done this, but I totally see such an experience in Asher's future.
well hopefully it's "A" experience, and not multiple!
Luckily his hair is already short.
Oh no! Yes, the joys of parenthood. One day you will be able to laugh about this. :))
I'm a little late but I'm your newest follower from Friday Follow. :)
http://sevinfamily.blogspot.com
I know it must be frustrating, but the dialogue is HYSTERICAL! I love, "Can I look in the mirror?" and "Does my hair look cut?" in response to your question.
Tee hee.
Post a Comment